leeve Gastrectomy is a technique used at the Medici Clinic in Tijuana, Mexico. It is a proven surgical technique for patients who suffer from obesity, but have experienced little to no success with exercise and dieting. Also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy or a gastric sleeve operation, the surgery involves removing 75-85% of the stomach, and then reshaping the remaining portion into a sleeve-like structure. The reduced stomach effectively restricts the flow of food particles to the intestines, leading the patient to experience a faster-acting and longer-lasting sensation of satiety. As a result, the patient eats less in each sitting.
Since this operation does not involve any "rerouting" or reconnecting the intestines, it is a simpler operation than the gastric bypass. Unlike the Lap Band procedure, the sleeve gastrectomy does not require the implantation of an artificial device inside the abdomen.
The larger part of the stomach contains a hormone responsible for appetite, so after the sleeve procedure, hunger is greatly reduced. All the functions of the stomach remain intact, only its volume is reduced. The "sleeved" portion of the stomach remains connected to the intestines. This procedure reduces the volume of food and the calories you can consume, however.
Because the new stomach continues to function normally there are far fewer restrictions on the type of foods which patients can consume after surgery.
This type of Bariatric Surgery is a safe and effective way to achieve and maintain a healthier weight. This operation is also a viable alternative for those patients who have specific conditions that prohibit gastric bypass surgery.
Individuals who may wish to consider this surgery
- Those who are concerned about the potential long term side effects of an intestinal bypass such as intestinal obstruction, ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency.
- Those who are considering Lap-Band surgery but are concerned about a foreign body inside the abdomen.
- Those who have medical problems that prevent them from having weight loss surgery such as anemia, crohn's disease, extensive prior surgery, and other complex medical conditions.
- People who need to take anti-inflammatory medications may also want to consider this. Usually, these medications need to be avoided after a gastric bypass because the risk of ulcer is higher.
- It does not require disconnecting or reconnecting the intestines and does not re-route the passage of food.
- The procedure is less likely to cause complications such as the malabsorption of vitamins.
- It allows for weight loss similar to what is experienced with gastric bypass surgery.
- It allows females to conceive and deliver healthy babies.
- It will greatly improve obesity related diseases like Diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients will find tremendous relief from back pain, hip pain, knee pain, and foot pain allowing them to walk and exercise more.
- There is no foreign object inside your body and this procedure does not Require fills or adjustments.
Rare complications can include blockages in the gastric sleeve or post-operative leaks from the staple line.
Information Request Form
* Required fields: name, e-mail, message, and reCaptcha
Medici Integrative Health & Surgery Center
Are You a Medici Integrative Health & Surgery Center Candidate?
To find out, please complete our Medici Integrative Health & Surgery Center Procedure Candidate Form.
Questions? Contact Us
Or Call Now! +1 (949)939 0050